When it comes to taking care of your new laminate flooring, it’s essential to first understand the makeup of your laminate. Some of today’s newer laminate flooring includes waterproof finishes, but many do not, so your care and maintenance routine must comply with the manufacturer’s guidelines. For example, Shaw laminate flooring includes wood, so you should never use excessive moisture or a non-approved cleaning solution while caring for their laminate flooring.
At Interior Images, we recommend the following care and maintenance routine for your new laminate floors:
- Regular care and maintenance should include sweeping, dry moping, or vacuuming with a hard surface flooring attachment.
- Most common household messes like spills and soil should wipe or sweep away clean.
- Blot and dry any liquid spills as quickly as possible to avoid warping.
For preventative maintenance
- Place doormats at the entry to the room to capture any dirt, sand, or grime that could be tracked onto your flooring.
- Protect your flooring from dents or marks by placing heavy appliances on mats, and use wide dollies whenever you need to move furniture across the floor.
- Add an area rug or two for stylish protection of your laminate flooring that also increases your flooring’s longevity.
When it comes to difficult stains and messes like candle wax and chewing gum, or oil based stains like lipstick and olive oil, consult with the manufacturer’s guidelines for cleaning tough stains and messes. Many of these tougher stains have simple solutions like using nail polish remover or freezing with ice before gently scraping away with a plastic scraper. For specific guidelines, visit Shaw’s laminate flooring cleaning suggestions from Shaw’s laminate flooring cleaning or ask one of Interior Images trusted representatives.
When you want to give your laminate flooring a deeper clean, use a manufacturer approved hard surface cleaner.
Additional laminate flooring resources:
Below is a list of additional care and maintenance tips plus stain removal resources to help keep your laminate flooring looking beautiful: